You have decided to start your own website, maybe it is for your personal insights or your business. You also already have the budget to finance its development. You have the ideas on how to design it. You have found the perfect niche. It seems like you already have everything down pat. The truth is, you don’t. Niche, budget and ideas are just the first items to think about when it comes to starting a website. There are other things to take into consideration.
Website Building Software – what company are you going to go with that provides the website building software you need to start your own website? You will want to go with a company that is popular, has a good reputation and is affordable. For example you may start your search with Act Now Domains. It has a very easy to use web builder that provides up to date templates and is very affordable. They are a great choice for beginners.
Domain Names - If you plan to start a website your domain name is critical. This is the address of your site. It is the term that people write in the browser so that they can get to access your website. Since there are already lots of domain names registered online, it can be quite challenging for you to find a good domain name that perfectly matches your company name as well as your products. For personal sites, it is quite hard to find a term that will correspond to the theme of your site. As times goes by, your domain name will greatly increase in value and that is why the sooner you register it, the better it is. When choosing a domain name, you must ensure that it is concise and easy to recall, should have the necessary keywords and it should be a top level domain name. In addition to that, you should also remember that your domain name will be the representation of your company in the online community so it must be kept as professional as possible.
Your website will be your identity online or that of your business. That is why it is important for you to ensure that you will be exhibiting it in the best way you can.
Take these things into consideration before starting a website and you will have a much better chance of success.
A lot of people find building a website really troubling. You may be one of them. You probably are unaware that this can actually be really easy. You just have to keep in mind some basic guidelines. Yes! Everything, even the best website, was started using the basics as its foundation. Below are six guidelines that would keep you on check while building a website that people will keep coming back.
If you build your website using a website maker like All Star Websites or similar software then these are easy to do:
- Design an excellent user interface. This you definitely have to practice working on with. Elements of a website like the title, logos, side bars, text and graphics must be strategically placed in the same position on each page. With this, your visitors will find it very easy navigating in your site. As a tip, the same header must be maintained at the upper portion of each page. This is a MUST for all website. Also, you need to apply logic while arranging the elements in each page. You can sort the elements either by topic or by importance, whichever you deem is befitting.
- Be consistent in your style. Structural consistency and thematic harmony make a website more appealing to a visitor. Make sure that the colors that you choose complement one another perfectly. Also, if the situation does not call for it, minimize the number of main colors used to two or three. As much as possible, never use a lot of font sizes and styles. Some visitors actually find this annoying.
- Make everything readable. You have to make sure that all texts are easy to read, not too small nor too big. You can have a friend check this for you. Make use of appropriate spacing and subheadings to properly distinguish between sections. You don’t want visitors becoming confused and lost as they navigate through the site. It’s also highly recommended to use varying font sizes to emphasize the hierarchy or importance of each topic.
- Make your site universally readable. Make use of a language, tags, plug-ins and features that are available in all brands and versions of various browsers. As much as possible, you want the site to work properly in all browsers. You wouldn’t really want the whole site or parts of it to only be accessible in certain browsers.
- Check if everything is working. Before publishing the site that you built, make sure to check that everything on it is working properly and how you want them to be: the plug-ins, links, videos and images. It will really be a major turn off for your visitors if some of it is not functioning well.
- Publish your site. Regularly check if the external links on the site still exist. You can also check the comments and suggestions made by visitors to further improve the website you built.
Are you an owner of a small business? Do you want to advertise it online? The why not put up a website just for it! The great advances in technology have paved the way to a much easier mean of conversing with millions of people nationwide. As a wise businessman, you better grab the great opportunity that the internet has to offer. If you ever do so, here are some of the things that you need to look into when building a website
A clear and definite goal
Before designing the website, you have to first lay down the main objectives of it. Ask yourself. What is my website for? Who are my target visitors? Will my website be active for a very long time or will it be for a shorter period only? How much budget am I willing to spend for the creation of my website? After you have the answers to this question, you can now start creating your website.
This is the most exciting stage when creating a website. You can either design the site yourself or ask for professional help. Creativity is a must when you’re designing a website. However, not all design can be customized. In some instances, the things that you can do are only limited.
Domain name is what will serve as the name of your website on the internet. Although there are a lot of domain names that you can give your website, there are times that you must be very selective about it especially since what you have is a business website. Aside from the domain name, you must also choose the domain extension that will go along with it. And just like your domain name, there are a lot of extensions available for your selection. Bear in mind that domain names are not cheap. You have to pay a certain amount as registration fee to make sure that the domain name will solely be exclusive for your use.
Web hosting provider
By the time you have done the design for your site and have chosen the appropriate domain name, you now have to look for a reliable web host provider. What they do is that they make sure that your site will be place on the internet. Some web providers offer services that are free of any charge while some may ask for a certain fee. You better do enough research first. You better compare various services and pick out the web provider that can give you the best services.
Here’s an advice. In creating a website, there is no shortcut. There are things that you have to look into first before making any necessary move.
If you are aiming for a successful web design in the future, here are some rules that you might want to look into.
- Never let the users think. Do not demand too much input from your visitors. To be more exact, there are visitors who appreciate lower cognitive load required as it helps them understand what the system is all about. Once you have touched the curiosity of the visitors, the next thing that you have to do is to make them realize how important the system is.
- Never waste users’ patience. Whenever you are offering products or services to a visitor, remember to keep your requirements as low as possible. If there is less action involved when trying out a product or service, there is a very high chance that visitors would really it out. You must also keep in mind that visitors who just came in for the first time are more interested in playing with your services and products. Don’t ask for registrations and subscriptions from them.
- Focus users’ attention. Websites contain both static and dynamic components and as to be expected, some part of the interface will surely get more attention than the rest. As an example, images are more interesting than text and bold sentences are more eye-catching than plain ones. As a smart web designer, you have to be able to redirect the attention of your visitors to things that you believe are important in selling the services or products.
- Work hard for feature exposure. Today’s web designs are oftentimes criticized because of their approach of directing users with eye-catching 1-2-3-done-steps and gigantic buttons with some visual effects on it. Looking at it from a design perspective, these objects are not really that bad. As a matter of fact, such approaches are highly effective in leading the visitors in a friendly manner.
- Write effectively. Writing style needs to be adjusted based on the preferences of the visitors and their browsing habits. You have to think of a way on how to get them hooked by just using words. As much as possible, use the business tone. Never use cute words, company-specific names and unknown technical terms. To optimize your writing, it’s best if you make use of concise and short phrases, scannable layout and objective and plain language.
- Keep it simple. Nothing beats simplicity! Every website design should have this as their main goal. Believe it or not, visitors paid little attention to the design. They might get WOW-ed during their first visit but that’s that. They are still in search for the information given the design. Go for simplicity rather then complexity.